search brock insurance

If your organization has elected to carry Workers' Compensation insurance, there are certain factors that will determine how much you'll pay for the coverage. Frequent claims will cause a significant increase in your premiums. If your company qualifies for an experience modification, adjustments will be made to your annual premium based on your past three years of claim activity - the more activity, the higher your premium. Carriers will also look at how well your organization is managing its operations.

While claim activity is usually out of your control - accidents happen - there are some things you can do to help show your carrier you deserve a lower rate on your Workers' Comp premiums:

  1. Offer health insurance, which may deter employees from using Workers' Comp as recourse for not having a health plan.
  2. Keep up-to-date OSHA logs with specifics about work-related injuries and illnesses. You should record when a work-related event or exposure causes or contributes to a condition or aggravates a pre-existing condition. Record deaths, loss of consciousness, days away from work, restricted work activity or job transfer, medical treatment beyond first aid, and injury or illness diagnosed by a physician or other licensed health care professional. This includes but is not limited to cancer, chronic irreversible disease, a fractured or cracked bone, or a punctured eardrum.
  3. Organize a formal safety program, put it in writing, and conduct safety meetings.
  4. Invest in an accident investigation program.
  5. Outline and post consistent instructions for any required safety equipment such as ear plugs for high noise or safety goggles.
  6. Utilize your carrier's loss control surveyors by asking questions about ergonomic testing or additional materials or websites recommended to improve safety.

Spend some time talking to us about your Workers' Comp insurance and you may be able to spend less on your premiums!

Post authored by Joi Garcia. Originally published February 21, 2014. View original post at:


Products underwritten by Central Mutual Insurance Company and affiliated companies.

Copyright © 2016 Central Mutual Insurance Company. All rights reserved.

Posted by Brock Insurance | Topic: Topic2  | Category: Work Comp

I recently read an article that reiterated how important it is for individuals who operate home-based businesses to be properly protected. In short, the article detailed how a participant in a Zumba class (which happened to take place at a fitness club ) suffered a stroke during the class. The instructor filed a claim with her homeowner policy and the claim ended up being denied.

The case ended up going to an appellate court in Arizona (which is where the situation occurred) and the jury found that the instructor’s activity at the club constituted “a trade, profession or occupation,” even though she was teaching on a very limited basis. This in turn affirmed the exclusion in the instructor’s homeowner policy that pertains to business activities.

The exclusion for business activities is something you will find in all homeowner policies, so it’s very important for anyone who operates a home-based business – no matter where the business is actually conducted – to obtain the appropriate liability insurance coverage.

As a general rule of thumb, if you’re engaged in a business where you earn more than $2,000 per year, you should consider obtaining a commercial general liability policy or a business owners policy (which will provide property coverage for your business property in addition to covering your business liability exposures) but the actual nature of your business may dictate otherwise so be sure to discuss with your local independent insurance agent.

Keep in mind that property coverage provided by your homeowner policy could also be in jeopardy if you are operating a business out of your home (this includes selling Mary Kay, AdvoCare, etc.). For example, homeowner policies contain specific “other structures” exclusions pertaining to business operations, so if you’re conducting a business activity out of a detached garage, shed, or barn, you might find yourself with no insurance coverage if that “other structure” is damaged or destroyed.

When in doubt, speak with your local independent insurance agent to learn more about how you can properly protect any property and/or liability exposures associated with a business you operate. Earning a little extra money on the side is great… until you realize you have no insurance coverage for it.

Thanks to Central Insurance Companies for the article. 

Posted by Brock Insurance | Topic: Topic 3

Short Term Rental Insurance

August 8th, 2018

Do you own a short Term rental? 

Then this article is for you.

Finally proper insurance to cover your rental. Our team at Brock can walk you through the options and help you choose the right coverage for your rental or rentals. Whether its the whole house, cabin, condo, town home or room we've got you covered. Not sure what needs to be covered or why. Contact our rental specialist John Brock today to protect the rental and yourself.    


What is considered short-term renting? In the insurance world, a property that is rentedfor less than 30 days at a time is typically considered short-term. A property in which therenter does not reside/live at the dwelling. 

Why does my homeowner's policy not cover my short-term rental? All homeowner'spolicies carry a "business activity exclusion". In other words, any claim involving a"business activity" could rightfully be denied. 

Is my short-term rental really a business? Yes. More and more cities like Austin, SantaBarbara, and Chicago are now requiring short-term rental owners to carry and pay for abusiness license. Note: Starting Feb 2015 in San Francisco Airbnb Hosts will be required topay 14% hotel tax and carry $500,000 in liability coverage. 

How do I get covered for business activity? You buy a business insurance policy. TheProper Insurance policy is a business policy. It covers your business property(rental home/contents), business liability, and the business income it generates. 

If I insure my short-term rental as a business, can I also stay there? Yes. There are nostandard occupancy restrictions on a business policy. This means the property is insuredwhile you stay there, friends or family, and of course paying guests. 

My short-term rental is also my primary residence, can I still purchase the ProperPolicy? Yes. If the short-term rental home is also your primary residence, Proper simplyadds $1,000,000 in personal liability and $50,000 in loss of use to relocate in the event theproperty is being rebuilt. This is very important if you do not carry a homeowner's policyelsewhere. 

What if I also live at the short-term rental, can I still purchase the Properpolicy? Yes. You have the same business exposure. We see every scenarioimaginable. You live upstairs and short-term rent the downstairs. You live in the main home and rent out the guest house, etc. 

If I have the Proper policy do I keep my homeowner's or landlord policy in place? No. TheProper policy is designed to fully replace the current coverage you have. You wouldcancel your current policy.  

FAQ provided by Proper Insurance

Posted by Brock Insurance | Topic: Topic 3  | Category: Short Term Rental Insurance

WEBSITE USE DISCLOSURE IMPORTANT NOTE: This Web site provides only a simplified description of coverages and is not a statement of contract. None of the information provided on the website is a guarantee that insurance will be provided or that the agency is obligated to procure insurance for the website visitor. Coverage may not apply in all states. Misstatements or omissions of relevant information can lead to price variation or even declination or rescission of coverage. For complete details of coverages, conditions, limits, and losses not covered, be sure to read the policy, including all endorsements, or prospectus, if applicable. Coverage CANNOT be bound, amended, or altered by leaving a message on, or relying upon, information in this Website or through E-Mail, Voicemail or Text.

© 2023 Brock Insurance Agency.